Mohammad Ismat – Topper – CBSE Class 12 - 2012

Manipuri boy Mohammad Ismat, who scored the highest marks in this year’s CBSE Class 12th Exam, says the word impossible does not cross his mind.
Mohammad Ismat – Topper – CBSE Class 12 - 2012
“I have a strong conviction that everything is possible when a man is determined,” Ismat said Tuesday, a day after he scored 99 % marks in the Class 12 science stream examination organized by the Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE).

He secured perfect 100 each in Mathematics, Chemistry, Home Science and Fine Arts, and 97 in Physics and 98 in English, scoring 495 out of 500.

“It is indeed great. I proved myself and confirmed that the northeast India has more such brilliant students. They should be properly nourished.”
Mohammad Ismat - 21-year-old student of Manipur’s Zenith Academy

He noted his family’s poverty, and said: “After passing Class 10 examination, I planned to study in a good school in Imphal… but I could not, because of the financial hardships faced by my family.”

Ismat, a Meitei Pangal (Manipuri Muslim), has now become the 1st student in the entire northeastern region to top the CBSE AISSCE (All India Senior Secondary Certificate Examination).

A resident of Manipuri Muslim-dominated Lilong Haoreibi village in Thoubal district, Ismat is the only boy and the youngest of 7 children of Mohammad Bashirur Rahman, a government primary school teacher.

The boy began his primary education in a local English medium school before taking admission into Kendriya Vidyalaya in Imphal where he studied up to Class Eight. Later, he joined the Sainik School Imphal where he scored 94.2 % marks in the Class 10 CBSE examination.

Expressing his gratitude for his school teachers, he said: “Sir S.M. Singh, the management secretary of Zenith Academy, accepted my request to (allow) study in the school at a minimum fee, and with his kind advice and guidance I have come out with flying colors.”

Besides scripting history in the entire northeast, Ismat is now looking forward to set another record in the civil services exams. “I want to be an IAS (Indian Administrative Service) officer.”

“I am planning to study at St. Stephen’s College in New Delhi and work hard to top the civil services exams too,” said Ismat, who considers books as his best friends.

Expressing happiness over his son’s achievement, an excited Bashirur Rahman said, “My happiness knew no bounds. My son Ismat has done it and I think he would surely become a leader to guide thousands of poor students to become great personalities.”

Ismat’s school — Zenith Academy — also went into celebrations over their student’s success.

In this interview, Mohammad Ismat talks about how he could not study for 3 months because of an anal surgery, why it is important not to lose focus and why he wants to appear for the Civil Services exam and top that too.

When did you realize that you have topped the country in the CBSE results?
Where I stay, there is no Internet access. I had sent my roll number through sms to a friend in Bangalore. He informed me that I had scored above 99 %, with 100 each in four subjects. Later, my school called to inform me that I was the all-India topper.

I thank Allah and all the people who showed faith in me and supported me in helping make this dream come true. This success is not my own; I owe it to my school management, who funded my education and my father who brought me up despite our family's poor financial condition.

How did you prepare for the exam?
I studied for 8 to 10 hours every day before the exam. I had to put in an extra effort because in November 2011, I had to undergo an anal surgery that restricted me from studying for long hours. For almost 3 months, I had to lie on my stomach and prepare. It was painful and exhausting, but I did my best.

Did you take any coaching? How important is coaching for success, according to you?
I did not take any specialized coaching. I could not afford it either. But I did approach my teachers to help me after school and they immediately agreed. I think coaching is important, but only to guide you, to improve your weaker areas. You can ask your teachers at school, your friends -- anybody who is willing to help.

How did you overcome the challenges you've faced?
Ever since I was young, I have been a victim of adversity, losing my mother, my family's poor financial condition...

But I have learnt that there is no place in society for people who complain. I don't believe in destiny. I believe that everyone is responsible for his/her own destiny. Life will always be difficult for those who are looking for excuses. We have to break free from adversity and focus on the larger goal -- what we want to achieve in life.

You have to be patient, learn from your experiences and run towards your goal without resting.

What problems do students in the North-East face with respect to education?
 The North-East, especially Manipur, is not as advanced as the other states. We have very limited access to the Internet, for instance and are not informed (about things around us) like the city kids are.

Majority of us don't even have a Facebook account! How and where will we access it? There are indefinite power cuts. We can't afford to purchase invertors or generators. So we rely on candlelight in the evenings. It may sound filmy to many people, but it is very common here in Manipur.

When you are not studying, what activities do you enjoy?
I love reading scientific journals, most of which I get from the school library. I love watching sci-fi movies, but we don't have much time after school, because we have to do our homework and prepare for our exams.

The last movie I enjoyed watching was Independence Day. I liked the concept and I could watch it again and again.

Who do you seek inspiration from?
My father would often tell me stories of Prophet Muhammad and legends of great men who braved difficult situations and emerged successful. I am greatly inspired by the life and times of Prophet Muhammad. He has left behind great messages for each one of us, for every situation.

You were felicitated by the State Education Minister. What did he have to say about your achievements?
He congratulated me and also promised to take care of my educational needs. He said the Manipur government will give me a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh for my higher studies. I am happy that I will not have to worry about my education expenses now.

What are your career plans?
I want to pursue Physics honors at St Stephen's College, Delhi. I have heard it's a big college and it's also the best institute for science. I would also like to appear for the UPSC exam and top that too, so I can become an IAS officer and work to improve the administration of the state of Manipur.

I want to enhance the educational facilities for students and help them in all possible ways - good study material, good teachers, scholarships etc. I want to improve the lives of students in my state and my country. As an officer, I would like to bring peace and prosperity to my home state and country.

What would you like to tell students who will appear for their CBSE examinations this year?
Concentration is the key to success in any examination. You have to work hard to improve your concentration. There will be several distractions in your way, but you must not lose your focus. The bigger goal should always inspire you to confront all challenges and obstacles in your path.

Any message for our young readers?
Nothing is impossible. In life, whenever you are sad, you must remember the good experiences and motivate yourself to see better ones. Everyone fail at some point. But it is important to look at failures as stepping stones which will lead you to success. To achieve bigger success, you have to be patient and let the bad times pass.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...